Our Favorite Popcorn Recipe
We eat a lot of popcorn. It's delicious, fun, inexpensive and fills these little bellies. Usually it's just a little salt and maybe some melted butter, but this recipe is definitely the new favorite!
I prefer to use jowl bacon for this because, when cooked crispy, it practically melts in your mouth. But regular belly bacon or even bacon ends would work too.
A word to the wise...make more than you think you'll eat. It goes fast!
Maple Butter Bacon Popcorn
1 pound jowl bacon
4 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 cup popcorn kernels
- Dice bacon into bite size pieces and cook over med heat in a heavy bottom pot until crispy. I use my big dutch oven.
- Drain bacon grease, but keep 3-4 Tbsp in the pot to pop the popcorn.
- In a separate pan, or in the microwave, melt the butter. Add the maple syrup to the melted butter and mix throughly.
- To pop the popcorn heat the reserved bacon grease over med heat. Add a few kernels of popcorn to the pot and cover with lid. Leave the lid slightly cracked. Once the kernels start popping, add the rest of the popcorn to the pot. Cover with lid and shake the pot to coat the kernels with hot grease. Leave lid slightly cracked while the popcorn pops.
- Listen for the popping to slow down. (This should take 2-3 minutes). Remove from heat before popcorn burns.
- Pour butter/syrup mixture over popcorn and top with bacon. Enjoy!